Sunday, November 18, 2007

the big day

Today was Noah's first day in nursery. Hooray! He turned 18 months on Friday which means he is now an official Primary member -- very exciting for mommy and daddy. Honestly, I wasn't sure how he would do. He's into this thing lately where he says "bye" to anything and everything (i.e. when I turn off the TV, when I throw away food he didn't eat, when he leaves his bear in his crib) -- it's hilarious. So, I was hoping to have the same reaction when I left him in nursery today for the first time. Before church today I tried to prep him by telling him what was going to happen... "today Noah is going to nursery -- yay for nursery! nursery, nursery, nursery! (he's into repeating words a lot lately so I said it over and over again for dramatic effect) You're going to play with new toys, read books, sing songs, have a snack, and meet new friends" -- then I named a few kids he already knows that he would see later -- he got really excited about that.

So, when the time finally came, he went right into the room and right for the giant car toy. He was pretty stoked about that. I hung around for a minute until some more kids came and all the teachers were there and then I told him I was leaving. He was really distracted by all the new toys and really didn't care that I was leaving at all. I was a bit worried that he was going to start looking for me and freak out, so I stuck around in the hallway for a bit longer (luckily, they just put a new window in the door so OCD moms like me can peek in and check on their kids). I'll admit that I had a little moment with myself in the hallway -- I got a bit teary-eyed, something I never thought I would do... but my baby is growing up! I can't believe it! Then I got over it and enjoyed the rest of my church meetings (something I haven't done in a LONG time -- we're talkin' before I was RS Pres).

I went to pick him up after the meetings were over, and of course he was face-down on the ground crying. YIKES! I knew he was super tired by that point (we're having nap transition issues -- a separate post altogether), but I guess he got pushed right before I got there. His teachers assured me that it had just happened and that he had been fine the whole time, for the most part (they wouldn't lie to me, right?). So, all in all it was a successful experience. I can't wait until next week!

p.s. I have a testimony of nursery leaders.


JessK said...

Hooray! I'm so excited for you! I am getting to REALLY anticipate nursery, though we have 5 1/2 months.

Amy said...

Hey Jess,

It's your cousin, Amy (formerly Snarr), but now Musgrove. I came across your blog through my brothers, through Kyles, and I found yours! I was really excited to see that I have cousins that blog too.

I loved this post. I'm anxiously awaiting the day when my son gets to go into nursery too. Let me tell ya, February can't come quick enough!

Well, I'd love to keep in touch. Check out my blog, and if you want we can totally get to know each other through blogging since we never really got the chance as kids.

Later, Amy

skt said...

No wonder you got choked up. Olive just turned a year on Friday and it went by WAY way too fast. As much as I feel like I'm wrestling a pig during SS and RS, I am dreading the day when I have to leave her for Nursery.