Friday, July 25, 2008

swim lessons

Noah started his long-awaited swim lessons at Riverbank State Park a few weeks ago. We signed him up back in February so he could start the summer session after he turned 2. For some reason this park has a really old-school way of registering for their programs, but I guess they can get away that when the classes are super cheap! So, we were really lucky to get into this class.

We have been having a great time. You never can tell how a toddler is going to react to new situations like this and I was definitely concerned that he wouldn't be into it and we'd be spending the class on the pool deck, but I'm so excited to report that he's quite the little fish! (It's probably helped that I've dragged him to about every water park there is in this city, but what else is there to do in the summer?!?) I think it's been a great way to get him acclamated to the water get over any fears he may have of it (i.e. me trying not to project my own childhood swimming fears onto my son).

Our classes consist of a little Humpty Dumpty, some Ring around the Rosie, lots of bubble blowing, way too much kicking practice (which consists of mom doing most of the work as they have to do 6 laps on their backs and fronts!), Simon Says, and Hot Potato. Hopefully we'll be able to pass our level 1 test and move onto level 2 -- we'd better get to practicing that bubble blowing!

here are some pics that gma S took when she accompanied us last week:

getting warmed up

ring around the rosie...

all fall down!
(I thought he'd freak out after he went under, but he loved it and now it's his favorite swimming game!)

kicking practice

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

high-fives with our teacher, "Nemo"

(I'm pretty sure that's not his real name :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

So much fun! I want to get Sebastian in some sort of swimming lessons too. We get to go swimming once in a while, so at least he's used to the water a little bit. I was also terrified of the water as a kid and don't want him to have the same issues.