Wednesday, March 9, 2011

tightening things up, Supernanny style


It is time... as much as I hate to admit it... it is time! After the holiday craziness, then the weeks on end of SOMEONE being sick, and the lack of any desire to brave the outdoors in this wicked winter we're having... we NEED to get back into a routine. Like a REAL routine, Supernanny style!

For the past few weeks I've been getting the impression that I need to tighten up our daily routine and run things a little bit more rigidly around here for awhile. Goodness knows why. Could it be my Leapster-loving/Spongebob-watching/back-talking 4-year-old? Or my youtube-addicted/pacifier-obsessing/ice-cream-demanding/temper-tantrumy/**crib-escaping almost-2-year old (yes, he's kind of a disaster right now)? And yes, I'll admit it. We got into some BAD habits when we were all taking turns being sick, and then the habits somehow creeped into our routine. And it's time, OH, it's past time to kick things back into gear.

I actually sat down to write this post and before I started, I was just clicking through some of my friends' blogs - I actually went straight to Erin's, who I haven't been great about keeping up on, and the first post was EXACTLY what I've been thinking about lately. So, I hope she doesn't mind that I'll just send you there and do some follow-up thoughts.

It is rare around this city to find SAHM's with no housekeepers, part-time nannies, or chauffers for their children. And it is so easy for me to get sucked into thoughts that there is no way I can handle doing everything I need to do for this family especially in this city. I seriously get the craziest looks when I am toting my toddler to pick up my preschooler everyday. Almost like, "don't you have someone to do that for you?" Honestly, somedays I wish I did! But most days I wouldn't have it any other way. This is what I chose and I want to do it well, REALLY well! I even love the rarity that it is here. I really do feel unique. I love that phrase 'parenting with precision' because it so clearly describes how the Lord cares for us and how we should care for our own families.

So, I'm letting stuff go... a lot of stuff (well, I'm holding onto a few things, but that's for another post!). And I'm refocusing. My Supernanny schedule is made, soon to be written on posterboard and posted on the kitchen wall. Every half-hour is scheduled so we all stay on track and everyone gets the right amount of attention/food/playtime/SLEEP!/screentime (not gone, but limited!)/and most importantly LOVE that they need. I even went so far as to schedule the 3 hours after the kids go to bed so the Mr. and I stay in check too (oh snap! it's 8:59pm - only one more minute of computer time left!)

It's day 3 of the new routine, and I'm in heaven. I feel accomplished at the end of the day, the kids are behaving much better, and we're all enjoying each other a little more. Ah, sanity! (At least for now.)

better go, Jon's turn for the computer!


**
(Gabriel finally fell asleep on the floor after escaping from his crib and tearing up his room... this has to end!!!)

3 comments:

Jonathon and Sarah said...

Um... this is my life! Yikes. I have been feeling the exact same way lately. I think the winter blahs finally got to me, and I have let the kids rule the roost, so to speak. When Christian starts watching the 3rd cartoon in a row, I about want to scream, but no matter how many times I tell them to turn the T.V. off, it magically turns back on. Just yesterday I said, "I need to make a chart." I figure if they have other options readily available and they have to earn their TV time, it might make our days a little better and all of us a little happier. Thanks for posting this and know that you are not alone. We miss you all.

LanceJess said...

Yeah Girl! Bring that hammer down!

Jen Bennion said...

Jess, you are my hero.