Monday, October 3, 2011

NYRR Sprint Triathlon

I did it! I raced my first triathlon!

This summer, my friend Leslie and I did the NYRR Sprint Triathlon in Queens. It was such a great time. 400 meter swim, 13 mile bike, and 3 mile run. I had been training tons for most of the spring and summer -- especially for the swim since that was my biggest weakness. But it all paid off! Of course, it was THE hottest day of the summer up to that point and the heat index was record-breaking -- they even threatened to cancel the race, but it went ahead as planned and luckily everyone survived.

The swim and the bike went much better than I expected, but the run was definitely the hardest part and it was only 3 miles! I had gotten a lot of advice to train running after biking and I really didn't listen because that totally rocked my world. Just the sensation of transitioning to run after having been going so fast on a bike was really hard. I felt like I was going SO slow. My Garmin had needed repairs so I didn't have my pace watch to help me out and that was rough! But, it actually went pretty well and I came in faster on my run than I had anticipated.

It was such great feeling of accomplishment and a great pay off for lots of training. I'll definitely be doing another one!



2 comments:

Nikki CB said...

Congratulations!! That is so great!

deb said...

I am so impressed! And I never thought about how hard that would be to run after biking. Way to tough it out!