Tuesday, May 27, 2008

last-minute fun

Lately I've been trying to get better about doing more spur-of-the-moment activities with the fam. I'm usually one to have every weekend planned out by the minute for weeks in advance (which really feeds my obsessiveness and is much easier to coordinate with a toddler in tow) but any sense of spontenaety is completely lost in my life! So, I'm really working on my flexibility especially now that the weather is getting nicer, the days are a little longer, and we can take advantage of all the great things there are to do during the summer in NYC.

After Noah's nap on Saturday we decided to pack up a picnic dinner and head to Central Park. It was too nice of a day not to take advantage of a stroll through the park. I love people-watching on a nice day in the park... it's oh-so entertaining! It was also "Fleet Week" and the Marine Band was playing a free concert at the Central Park Bandshell. So, we headed down to 72nd street and wandered through Strawberry Fields (and the over-protective hippies), past the disco-roller-bladers, saw a wedding by the boathouse and then finally made it to the concert. (Confession: I'm a band-nerd at heart and I even once had ambitions of being in a military band... I also grew up minutes away from West Point where we would see the Army band perform every week during the summer.) So, I was pretty excited about the concert -- and I was excited to see Noah's reaction to the band. He had a great time trying to run up to the stage and was fascinated with the drums and the tuba (yes!). Then we wandered down to the boathouse and watched the rowboats while Noah tried his darndest to sneak past us and jump into the lake.

It was just really fun to not have a nice lazy Saturday evening out of our 'hood and to spend some relaxed time together. I definitely need to plan more spontaneous trips like this one :)

enjoying some John Philip Sousa...

saluting the troops

making a run for it!

"but I want to go swimming!"

this is literally the best show we got... (Noah was being super uncooperative with the picture taking!) His finger has made a peramanent home up his nose for the past 2 weeks.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh I would love to hang out in Central Park! I visted Manhattan once, but was busy doing sightseeing and we only walked through one little section of the park. Maybe someday we'll make it out there again.

Tamara said...

Looks like so much fun, I am glad that you were able to enjoy the day.